EDN’s Learning and Skills Teacher apprenticeship is a Level 5 training course aimed at mid-level managers, senior managers and department heads. This apprenticeship programme focuses on developing evidence-based teaching and learning practices, creating authentic and relevant learning opportunities.
This course takes a minimum of 24 months to complete.
What is a learning and skills teacher?
A learning and skills teacher is a dual professional; someone who holds subject-specific skills or vocational expertise and then went on to train as a teacher.
Learning and skills teachers are qualified to teach adults and young people within educational settings, including work-based environments, further, higher and adult education, voluntary or with offenders.
A learning and skills teacher’s responsibilities can include:
- Engaging their students and helping them reach their full potential
- Planning and delivering relevant learning activities
- Creating and adapting strategies for learning
- Providing support for students
- Providing feedback and learning plans to students
- Following teaching, learning and assessment regulations
- Using digital technologies effectively
- Actively participating in continued professional development.
Employers will set their own entry requirements in order to start on this apprenticeship. However, they can include:
- Relevant knowledge of workplace practice
- Having an area of vocational expertise or specialist subject knowledge.
On completion of the Learning and Skills Teacher apprenticeship, and after gaining teaching experience, participants could pursue training leadership roles within the sector (subject to the employer’s approval).
Cost / Funding
Levy Payers – £10,000
Non Levy Payers – £500 + VAT
Apprentices will need to pass maths and English Functional Skills Level 2 during their apprenticeship.
The End Point Assessment (EPA) for the Learning and Skills Teacher Apprenticeship includes:
- A Professional Discussion, informed by a Thematic Case-Study and an Online Presentation
- Two Teaching Observations
EDN assigns a designated Training Consultant to each apprentice. The EDN Training Consultant will be in contact with the apprentice to coach, mentor and discuss progress.
Download our fact sheet
Learning and Skills Teacher Apprenticeship fact sheet