EDN’s Assessor Coach training course is a Level 4 apprenticeship aimed at mid-level or senior managers and department heads. The programme focuses on developing complex communication and coaching skills, while engaging learners in work-based teaching programmes.
This course takes a minimum of 15 months to complete.
What is an assessor coach?
The assessor coach is a dual professional. Someone who holds relevant skills and expertise within a subject or vocation while also supporting, promoting and delivering continued vocational development within workplaces and organisations.
Depending on their own experience and the employer’s requirements, assessor coaches could assess or coach apprentices or staff of any level on a one-to-one basis. Assessor coaches go beyond regular mentoring, utilising these sessions alongside a detailed communications skillset to really develop an understanding of the learners and their needs.
Assessor coaches can work across industries or within sectors such as education and training. Their responsibilities vary but can include:
- Supporting learners’ development within the workplace or training environment
- Delivering coaching support through strategies, vocational skills and feedback
- Inspiring learners and providing pastoral advice where necessary
- Following ethical, legal and professional best practice guidelines
- Identifying individual learner’s needs and creating programmes aligned with those
- Assessing learners using effective listening and skilled communication techniques.
Employers will set their own entry requirements in order to start on this apprenticeship. However, this could include the following:
- Since this is a dual professional apprenticeship, relevant qualifications and experience in the apprentice’s area of specialism
- Level 3 qualification in Assessing, or completion of this prior to the completion of the apprenticeship, may also be applicable.
On completion, the assessor coach could potentially progress to a full teaching role within an education and training provider organisation.
Cost / Funding
Levy payers – £7,000
Non-levy payers – £350 + VAT
Apprentices will need to pass maths and English Functional Skills level 2 during their apprenticeship.
The End Point Assessment (EPA) for the Assessor Coach apprenticeship includes:
- Assessor observations.
- Professional discussion.
EDN assigns a designated Training Consultant to each apprentice. The EDN Training Consultant will be in contact with the apprentice to coach, mentor and discuss progress.
Download our fact sheet
Assessor Coach Apprenticeship fact sheet